View Single Post
      06-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Sure. But everything they said about sedans applies to coupes as well. In fact, one could argue that coupes double down on the "not making sense" part in that they lack dedicated doors for access to the rear seats which obviously impacts passenger convenience.

Quote:
I contend that coupes should make a comeback in the days of the modern SUV taking over sales. I further posit that an all-electric, high performance sports coupe (ala Tesla Roadster) would help spur the charge.
The type of vehicle you are talking about here - dedicated sports cars - vehicles which eschew conveniences in the quest for performance including major features like rear seats (or at least, practical ones - some do offer so-called 2+2 seating) - are absolutely headed toward electrification. You will soon have plenty of choices.

But those are distinct from typical luxury coupes (and convertibles for that matter) that share their vehicle architecture and the majority of their parts with sedans. Certainly the 4 Series coupe falls into this latter category, and so would any i4 Coupe if it were to exist.

Quote:
As the market shifts ever-further to SUVs and trucks it makes sense to me that sedans will further decline, leaving a gap to be filled by coupes again.

That's kinda where my mind's at on it, I'd love to hear your guys' and gals' thoughts on it. I mean I can't be the only one thinking an all-electric 4-series that did 0-60 in 2.5s and had a 400 mile range would be an awesome commuter car.
The i4 *is* an electric 4 Series though, right? I get it - you meant "4 Series Coupe". But the thing is, as the pool of passenger car buyers shrinks, the number of those who demand the rear doors be taken away shrinks as well. It is quite possible that the four door coupe is the new coupe. However, the good news there is that means you can have your electric BMW coupe in 2022 instead of who knows when.
Appreciate 0