Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
This article hurts me though, because BMW *is* super late to the party. For all the evolution going on they've been slow to react. All I can think is FINALLY!
I still don't get where BMW is late to the party is coming from. How are they any worse than what Audi or Mercedes have done and put out up to today?

The GLC 350e is the only EV/hybrid Mercedes in Canada and that's just now being sold in 2020. The Audi e-tron has only been available since 2018 and reviews have been nothing but average to disappointing. BMW has had the i3 and i8 since 2013/2014. So how is BMW so late to the party when they have had consumer electric/hybrid products on the road longer than both Audi and Mercedes?

Just based on real-world data and consumer application, BMW a has a minimum of 3-4 years on Audi and Mercedes. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me because I can't understand how BMW gets slammed for being "slow" when Audi and Mercedes have not much to show for either.
Audi and Mercedes are late to the party too. Not saying they aren't.

At least I have an E-tron to consider. I was excited about the iX3 until we found out that it's a very limited car in function and market. If it was more powerful (under 5 seconds to 60) I would probably have an E-from right now.

If I want an EV (not a hybrid) there is literally no BMW option. The i4 is the next hope, slated to start production at the end of 2021 and hit the market in the first half of 2022... two years from now.

In the next year we will see several fully electric VWs, the Volvo XC40 Recharge, the Polestar 2, Kia and Hyundai have their options, the Ford Mach-E, an SUV and a truck from Rivian, maybe a truck from Lordstown, and probably more, this is just off the top of my head. And BMW is hoping for maybe a retrofit sedan platform a year late, and is just now considering a commitment to a dedicated electric platform?

I guess I just get this sense that they were doing so well early in the decade, that they sort of squandered their momentum after the i3. There will be so many EV options available in the next six months, and BMW is absent.
Appreciate 0