View Single Post
      10-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #71
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iAndroid View Post
If this new 3 series isn’t significantly better, BMW will have a growing problem on their hands when the 2 series moves to front wheel drive. What else will be left for us other than used BMW’s. Nothing I say.
I read that the 2 coupe will remain as the entry-level car with RWD, and the 2GC saloons (OK, sedans for y'all) and MPVs will be based on the UKL front-wheel-drive platform. So a sub 3-series RWD car may still be around.

All the shitting on the 3 series for not having a manual tranny comes from the Western side of a small, round table full of grouches in the corner of a massive, massive pub full of people who care only about speck, lease payments and motorway stability. The BMW chap was simply picking on people who were picking on BMW.

Interesting that the Alfa brigade are merely saying their prayers to give thanks that not every Guilia is exploding at the first corner and whilst their reliability may still suck mud, at least the car can cope with a gentle commute which is more than can be said for all the previous ones. Apparently, that makes the Guilia deadly competition (???). Audi drivers are just measuring speck, front tyre width and LCD screen size again, and all Merc drivers have to do is adjust their spectacles whenever a new one comes along. No car gets close to the meeja (and social meeja) frenzy of BMW.

It's like Rolex issuing a new Submariner. Rolex used to leave decades between updates, because they simply weren't needed, but now they produce a new one on a regular moddle-year cycle to keep the leaseholders happy, get the out of the old one and into a new one with better speck, so they can have their nice new shiny. But still, despite the gnashing and wailing of teeth, every other watchmaker wants to have something like a Submariner in their line-up.

And I thought the F10 was a good foil for the E39, much better than the previous E60 and seriously good looking. Here, everyone loved it. YMMV.
Appreciate 0