10-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #74
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
All the talk about the e46 driving dynamics. You think you want it, but you dont.

Proof? GM literally reverse engineered it with the Cadillac ATS line and it's a massive failure.

Meanwhile the Current 3 series outsold it massively.

People want big fat smooth drivers, not dynamic fun ones.

The 3 G20 is bigger than a 5 series used to be. Let that sink in on how fun it will be to drive.

The 2 series 4 door will be a mini, so don't think the spirit of the 3 lives on there.

BMW wants mainstream sales and mainstream sales are driven by cabin space and tech not driving dynamics. All BMWs modern moves are aimed at expanding sales to new drivers. They assume we will be loyal and buy the new cars even if they share little with previous ones.

X1, X2, 1 series, 2 series (coupe exception) are FWD cars to lure in younger poor people. The 5, 6, 7, 8 are Luxury cars not sporty at all. No sporty car weighs 4kg, idc what badge they put on it. You could take an M5 to the track but you'll burn pads every 2 sessions if you actually drove it. It's good only for the stats page in a magazine, which will attract dumb people with money who want to show off. The 8 is being turned into an 'ultra luxury' line for Saudi oil princes.

My 135i is bigger than an e46 M3 yet the website says the 2 series (formerly 1 under old nomenclature) is the successor to the 2002.

I don't blame the M division either. They have to work with what BMW gives them.

BMW became cool because of dynamics but now they want sales growth and that means A Camry.

The M division gets to work with pigfat.

Your future M cars are mostly just milking the brand at this point.

The M3 currently has no connection to Motorsport at all which was the whole point of M cars. The M8 does but like I said earlier, the M8 GT car weighs 2k lbs. your street version will be double that.

The M brand is essentially dead in spirit. The 3 series is massive.

You have to wonder why we even bother at all with BMW? I know why Stacey is leading her 328i grocery getter. Makes perfect sense for her. I know why Chun Li is leasing his M5. Perfect car to show off your wealth.

I also know why I've never seen a modern M5 at a BMW track event.
I had an ATS premium line, it was a fantastic car, handled better than any non-modified BMW I had driven, and possibly even handle better than my current M3. But what killed it for many people including myself, was the horrific transmission, and the ridiculous old fashion dealerships. While the car was great, the overall experience was very generic.

I am certainly looking forward to what Cadillac is bringing forward, in the CT3/4, and maybe even the CT5.
2020 M340
Appreciate 4
Brake_Late1937.50
hans007604.50
apascutia172.50
JTO245276.00