12-16-2021, 05:00 AM   #21
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/5469/2...s-release-date

Seems the interior is getting big screens.

As an owner of a car that soon won't be the latest release, I've never envied or lusted after the latest, as demonstrated by having owned my old e39 for 10 years and my e61 for 7. So hopefully I can be objective, without saying that all new bits are a step backwards or useless. They rarely are, with the only retrograde step of recent being the removal of so many physical buttons.

I do wonder about these big screens and the potential lack of touchscreen. Surely they will be, won't they?

While I am sure that they will be lovely and big, I rarely look at my iDrive screen - HUD is by far the most important thing for me. However, if they could unclutter the cockpit, then it would definitely be a plus. The cluttered cockpit isn't that hard to live with, but still, it's a dog's dinner. Or maybe it will act like the split screen in satnav, which IMO leaves the nav a bit too small.

I know also that you can dim the screens at night, but with them being quite so big, I do wonder how distracting they might be. Do Merc drivers, for example, who have these big screens (and whose look I am not a particular fan of) find them an issue?

Does anyone know how long these screens will last for? If they're like modern screens, they'll need replacing before too long. Or am I being overly pessimistic?
Very glad i'm getting a late pre-lci. I like the new cluster of OS8, but the main display seems to resemble a phone now with lots of "apps". not a fan of that.
And not a fan of the "tacked on" look of the physical hardware.
Appreciate 0