LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm not sure if it works similarly but my Bank of America debit card works in tandem with my phones's GPS, to know where I am, at times of usage.

For instance, if I'm in NY and the card is being used in CA, the banks knows I'm not close to the card, based on geofencing and alerts me of possible fraud.

I'm assuming vehicle security system would operate similarly, to prevent possible misuse or auto theft.
Yikes. That sounds like a privacy nightmare.

But in this context this wouldn't be a solution since a relay attack would initiate with your car close to the phone.

My guess is V3 requires Apple's U1 chip to take advantage of the technology they added to accurately determine where in 3D space two objects are (when they unveiled this feature they marketed as a way to accurately airdrop just by pointing your phone due to the distance measuring capacity of UWB).

Although that is a great feature it will need to be determined how guarded it is against a relay attack where an attacker makes both devices appear closer to each other by boosting or otherwise manipulating the signal in the middle.

For the key fob the solution was to just turn it off when movement isn't detected. I can't say if it will be that easy here.
Appreciate 0