View Single Post
      09-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #50
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
S68 is still a thing to come. But I wonder if everything other than M5, M8, X5/6/7 and Alpina versions will lose the V8 soon.
I remain skeptical of this possibility. Here's why:

- Mercedes just debuted the new W223 S Class and the V8 is still the volume engine for the US for now. Clearly there is still a strong market for V8 power in this class of vehicle. While it is true that Mercedes has plans for an I6 PHEV model with as much power as the V8, it is not expected to replace that model in the lineup. Additionally, Audi's A8, like Mercedes S Class still offers V8 power.

- BMW has been held onto their V8 engine in more models than either of their German counterparts. For example, neither the Audi S6 nor Mercedes E53 use a V8 while BMW's competitor, the M550i, does.

- As you acknowledge, the V8 virtually has to stick around for the SUVs, so why not continue to offer it in sedans? A counterpoint to this would be to cite that the Audi SQ7 and Mercedes GLE580 have V8 power despite the aforementioned sedans forgoing it, so BMW could follow suit. And I'd agree that the G60 5 Series might well go that route. But the G70 7 Series? It seems unlikely.

Could Alpina simply take up the slack in the market for the M550i, 750i, and M850i? Perhaps. But I am not ready to bet on it yet, especially for the latter two.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00