View Single Post
      09-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #53
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
New technology will continue to push power-per-displacement higher, but I think the market for V8 engines in high end luxury vehicles goes beyond performance. There is still a prestige factor. It's similar to how the V12 lasted as long as it did in this class even when the V8 has long since had the ability to yield higher performance.

If the S68 doesn't usher in an all new design (such as switching to the same 91mm bore spacing the inline family uses), I think they'll keep the current architecture until the end. As you say, the engine is still shorter than an I6, and it's difficult to imagine there being enough volume past the end of this decade to warrant any major change.
There was this article a little while ago - I can see that there is some logic here, even with direct injection if you're on boost in a test you'll be well below being able to run 14.7:1 AFR so if a larger engine can stay off boost and maybe via cylinder deactivation can still idle and cruise at a lower swept capacity it could be possible to have a larger engine do better. Broadly Mazda has been doing that for a while with their 2.5 n/a engine - similar power to the mainstream 1.8 turbo engines and similar or higher efficiency in the real world.

https://www.wheels.ca/news/porsche-e...r-not-smaller/

I just hope somehow somewhere I can get a 48v Borg Warner turbo on my M6 or get one hooked up to a V8 with a DCT