View Single Post
      01-18-2022, 07:43 PM   #55
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Can you confirm that these wheels (Supra Square wheels) fit and clear on stock suspension ? I'd be interested in buying a set for track duty.

Seems like 265/35-19 would offer a good choice of tires and a nice gain in grip.
Not exactly. I'll share some photos of our test fit to explain our results.

We used the following wheel and tire for testfitting: 19x9.5 ET25 Supra wheel (Identical Bore and Bolt pattern to the G20) with a 275/30-19 Michelin PS4S
No spacers were used for any of these photos.

Car was: Stock M340i, stock suspension and alignment:

Front

Our wheel on the left, Slight difference in width compared to the OE front wheel and tire

Overall, The front fitment looks good to me on the outside edge. It's aggressive but lines up well with the body and the shorter tire tucks at the top even with the OE alignment. Not terrible for a track or aggressive street fitment.

Inner clearance up front: Extremely tight clearances noted between this wheel and the factory front struts. The wheel and tire clear the strut body barely, but with tire flex on track, the tire would likely touch the strut body. The tire and wheel also barely sit below the front spring perch on the strut and the perch extends above the tire. This means that taller tires like a 275/35 or potentially even 265/35-19s would contact the front OE perch. I don't have an inner clearance photo handy at the moment to explain this more easily but taller tires would be an issue.

These limitations mean that these wheels would not work with any coilover or HAS kits that reduce inner clearance up front like ST/KW or conical Bilstiens. My tire recommendation would probably be 265/30-19 for front clearances but really wide tire models in this size might still rub on the inner edge. Front spacers would improve strut clearances at the cost of potential rubbing/poke on the outside edge. Overall the front is doable but difficult. Additional negative camber would help tuck the top of the tire in a bit if spacers were used.

Rear

The offset is too low for the rear. This wheel pokes out more than we would like with the factory alignment. We would like to test these wheels on a lowered car or a car with additional negative camber dialed in on the rear to see if lowering provides enough camber to help tuck the rear wheel into the fenders. Slightly narrower 265/30-19 tires would help tuck the fitment a bit more as well and allow you to rotate between the front and rear axles, but this rear fitment is really the sticking point at the moment. Inner clearances are good in the rear with plenty of room for higher offset wheel options that we are working on.

I believe the customer went on a slow drive around the block with this wheel mounted (need to confirm that with my colleague tomorrow, don't quote me here) and did not experience rubbing, but this isn't the full range of testing a fitment like this needs. This setup may very well rub in the rear with enough suspension compression.

We have another identical supra wheel with a 265/30-19 tire ready for a new test fitment, but this is the reason why we are looking for a lowered car on otherwise factory suspension or a car that has had the rear camber increased for more testing.

I want the 19x9.5 ET25 Supra wheel to be a direct fit, don't get me wrong. But the rear offset isn't ideal and I can't currently recommend picking up a set unless you understand the risks and are willing to make the wheels work. I certainly think they could work on a G2X car with the right modifications, but we need to know what modifications are needed before we sell the wheels to customers so we can let them know what they are getting into.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have more questions!

-Tom
MPSdriver192.00
STDK3.00