06-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #82
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaberti View Post
This kind of reminds me of the bangle era, where BMW attempted more creative approaches to try and find themselves. I applaud them for their effort here and look forward to the refinement and different takes this era will bring because, more than likely, they'll settle on something most people like and can move forward. Maybe we'll look back on this and see a diamond in the rough in ten years? Maybe not.

And so the wheel turns.
Creative approach???

The gigantic grille trend was started by Audi back in 2007 with their trapezoidal Singleframe grille. Lexus' large Spindle grille started around 2012. Mercedes went with the large Panamericana grille a couple of years ago. There are others.

BMW hasn't provided a "different take," they are following an old and tired trend. So old in fact that, Audi head exterior designer Andreas Mindt recently said they will soon scrap the "big mouth" Singleframe grille, with new ideas like... "Maybe the border between grille and no grille will meld together—the frame is not like a border anymore. Just think about what you can do in the future to make it meld together."

The BMW large kidney grille doesn't meld together, it stands out like a sore thumb. And as others have already said, the rest of the car seems to follow Asian car design cues. I'm not seeing the creative approach you speak of, BMW is just following.
Appreciate 0