Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
GA lost twice, which many people seem to discount today. Yes, they played well for most of the day yesterday but they couldn't close. If teams are selected primarily based on a selective eye test and GA got in, then serious consideration would need to be given to leaving ND out, despite going undefeated but playing no tough final conference championship.

I watched part of the OK-TX game yesterday but didn't get a chance to see Ohio State. I think you can debate OK vs. OSU but it certainly isn't ridiculous or unfair to select OK. Putting a 2-loss GA team in over both of them would seem outrageous to me.
By your logic, when the national championship is played, whoever loses should be demoted, because after all, they lost. They shouldn't be considered no. 2 any longer because they may have one more loss than 3 or 4 or whoever. Number of losses needs to be considered and evaluated, imo, not a knee jerk final argument.
Not that anyone cares whether they are 2 or 3 if they lose the championship game, but what you describe is not really the same thing. There are 4 teams in a playoff that are deciding who plays for the national championship on the field, not deciding who gets into the playoffs in a conference room. The two teams playing already beat the other 2 teams to earn the right to play in the championship. (Also they wouldn't necessarily have one more loss after losing the championship since the other teams not playing in the championship game lost their playoff games.)

GA lost by 20 points to LSU but still had a chance to get in by beating Bama. They didn't and didn't win their conference. It would be outrageous to put them in the playoffs ahead of either of two one-loss conference champs IMO. Doing so would basically ignore the loss to LSU completely. (When Bama got in last year without winning the SEC they only had one loss, not two.)

I don't have anything against GA. No doubt they are a great team and had a great season and I would be on board with them getting in if they hadn't lost twice.