View Single Post
      06-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #19
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I think they did pretty good with the C6Z. I owned one for awhile, and with just a few bolt-ons it made almost 500hp to the wheels. Really raw car they would bite you if not careful.

What trips me out is watching these old shows and the 60's high horsepower big block cars and when they show the rated 0-60 times. I know these cars were heavy, but putting the power down efficiently was always an issue.

Oh....also had a Grand National when I was in my 20's. Just a little bit of upgrades, and that car was fun. So it looks like in the 80's, they figured out that smaller displacement with some "boost" was something that needed exploring.

These days....the "muscle" cars coming out are crazy. Never thought I would see the chasing numbers game again after the mid 70's started.
yeah i agree with C6 things changed not only on engine wise handling braking etc also.. one of my friend had a C5 for many years that car was really trying to kill you each time you drive.. C6 is totally a new page at least for me.. and yes Z06 was quite a bargain for such powers but it should be 7 liters.. its quite a lot even for US market.. problem starts with bigger displacements by physics after some point.. friction highly increases and if its not divided into more cylinders.. more weight on internal parts, higher inertia.. thats why 60-70's race cars had more cylinders according to their displacement for higher revs.. never been on SRT10 but been on Z06 and yes big displacements rapid torque is quite sexy..
though im not sure if i want an SRT10 ever.. newer models was i guess 8.3L which is too much and should be around 650hp.. you dont need that much displacement for such powers.. those engines are fantasies in a good way though.. soon we wont see them anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Changed after the C6 ZR1? You’re a bit off base to say it mildly. Granted the Europeans squeezed some decent hp out of smaller plants because it was necessary. Gas was always more expensive on the continent and even more so post WWII, it was therefore a necessity unless one was very wealthy. America didn’t have that concern as fuel was much cheaper. big displacement an torque were the words of the day and we all drove big
Just to point out just one of several flaws in your post, the Alfa you posted you mention was a race version. The street version put down much lower horsepower numbers and the Alfa Montreal for the masses was easily spanked by a Corvette small block of the same vintage. Comparing a race prepared engine to a showroom stock isn’t quite fair regardless of displacement. Thankfully here in the states a bone stock showroom bought C3 Corvette had more power then a factory made race car Alfa did in the same year. Not to even get into a race made Chevy small block.
https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/3rljrnpjj88n
yeah numbers can be slightly different cause i didnt google them before posting.. and yes in Europe efficiency was on the table much earlier but for V8 engines especially Merc' has super great engines before and still.. i4 is quite common in Europe however V6 is generally called as an economy car in US.. i realized it quite clear during the time i was staying in LA for 6 months..