View Single Post
      07-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF87M2 View Post
True , i ve been really thinking to buy the next M2 CS as it would be the top of the line of F87 , the only thing i dislike is the front grills tho, compared to the og . But since i use this car 2 times a month , and now have only 9K kilometers on it , never track it , and planning to keep it as a collectible (not planning to sell it ) i really dont know .. to keep the OG M2 , or buy the better M2CS .. the engine is not a problem for me i dont want to track it , dont want to modify as well , cause i ll keep it stock as it is . But again the CS is the top of the line of F87 , but the OG , have those nice front end . I really need the time to see if the engine of the og m2 is something special , because they spend time on that car and engine , on the other hand s55 is a proper M engine , but they just put it in the comp for emissions etc.. the thing i need to understand , is why they used the n55 modified unit on their first m2 , where the S55 was already in their other m cars .. is there anything special on the m2's n55?
i think they just made the OG m2 to cater to more to the old school style BMW enthusists so to make it as cheap and light as possible while still keeping the M charactistics. It wasnt really meant to be a super fast car but more of a balanced car.

They just used the n55 engine for similar reasons as they did the n54 for the 1m...keep costs as low possible to allow more buyers to be able to buy a M car.

Same reason toyota said they collaborated with BMW on the supra. They said they did the costing on making their own supra and based on that cost.. They would've had to sell the supra for $150k to try to break even. They wanted the new supra to be affordable to the average person.

Coming from a N54...i was a n55 hater for a long time. But BMW won me over with the m2 n55 since it comes with forged crank and rods...same as the s55. Only the new S58 has a completely forged block. Also i like the air to air setup on the n55 over the air to water setup on the s55. Air to water system take longer to recover from heat soak.
Appreciate 0