View Single Post
      02-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #265
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I can't answer for Glaede, but I think that he mentioned that he can't hear it inside the car at iddle. Of course there are a lot of noise in the engine bay when the engine is running. I think we all have the same problem.
Yes. That is the confusing part.

You wrote that you hear the noise when the engine is OFF, but the car is rolling.

He writes that he hears the noise with the engine running, but the car is stationary.

That's the difference. If the noises heard are the same, then the conditions should be the same. However, you hear the noise when the engine is not running, but car moving, whereas he hears the noise with the engine running but car not moving.

If the noise is the same, then the noise exists even when the engine is not running, and, it exists even when the car is not moving. Both different conditions, but the same noise?

If the noise exists when the car is moving and the engine is off, then that would indicate that the noise may be in the drive line while in motion, not the engine.

If the noise exists when the car is not moving, and the engine is idling/running, then that would indicate that the noise is being produced not in the drive line, but with the engine and/or associated parts that are also in play with a running engine.

In your case, the noise is not associated with the engine.
In his case, the noise is not associated with the drive line.

Do you see my wonderment?

Last edited by RPM90; 02-14-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0