View Single Post
      03-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #223
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Wait didn't you redo the tint a few weeks ago and it fixed the issue? I remember you saying that, so is this reinstall due to the car being used as a test vehicle?
Yes lol. However, I went to 30% but I wanted to go darker again so I talked with the shop and we decided to do some testing to figure out the dimming issue. I had 30% dyed film (non ceramic) on and the dimming issue was pretty much gone. We switched to the same film only 20% and it didn't change the dimming issue (maybe like 5% difference because of going darker). So from there I could tell that it wasn't necessarily how dark you go but it does make a slight difference.

So this is where the testing came in. We decided to strip it again and apply the same percentage (20%) but go back to a good quality ceramic tint that has a lot of IR rejection. We did Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic. IMMEDIATELY the dimming issue was back and worse than any of the previous tints and the original tint I had when I bought the car. Again we stripped it, and this time stayed with the same brand (Formula One) same percentage (20%) but switched to their dyed line of films with very little to no IR rejection.

Looked exactly the same when done from the outside, but the gauges were immediately bright again and no strange up and down dimming based on sun location, time of day, cloudy, sunny, etc. It's stable and brighter at all times.

We also did some testing by rolling down the driver's side window and holding up various brands of tint, ceramic, non ceramic dyed, non ceramic carbon, etc. It's not as effective of a test because obviously the other windows are tinted. However, we were able to see similar results for me to be very very confident in all of this testing and what effect each type of tint has on the light photocell.
Appreciate 0