pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Stihl saws used to be good, most of their stuff now is garbage. I fix equipment on the weekends and have seen lots of quality issues with Stihls the dealers won't warranty. Also Stihl has made is basically impossible to buy parts in the aftermarket. Those two things will make me steer clear of them, and suggest my customers do the same.

My personal saw is a German made 1995 Makita (Dolmar). Never had an issue with it and it just screams.
I've got a fleet of Stihl saws, but they're all 10+ years old. They work great as long as you maintain them reasonably well, but so do my friends' and neighbors' Jonsereds and Husqvarna saws. I have a Kombi head and several attachments, but it's also from around 2008. I do all the maintenance and sharpening myself and I never loan anything out. I take good care of my stuff and I've learned the hard way that the less time my stuff spends in the hands of others, well-intentioned though they may be, the better it holds up. If someone needs a saw, they can go buy one just like I did. If a neighbor is in a pinch and there's a downed tree blocking their driveway, I don't hand them a saw; I go cut it up and haul it away myself.