View Single Post
      09-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #1088
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I don't understand why you keeping bringing up the RC-F Track edition. It's more expensive because of "adding lightness" through things like carbon fiber and lighter components. I'm just talking about lopping half a foot off the RC-F chassis, like BMW has done in the past, and those cars ended up being cheaper than the larger cars. Plus, specialty cars like the Track Edition usually have considerable profit margins compared to regular versions.
The RC was developed by using many other chassis's and still came out to the same weight as the longer GS. Here we have a Lexus chassis that was developed yet no weight was able to be saved from.

I bring up the RC-F track edition because it is the lightweight version of that. Of course CF had to be used because if weight savings were cheap/easy at this point to save weight then they would have done it when initially developing the RC chassis to begin with.

You say they could just cut a foot off and save weight but that did not save weight when creating the RC initially so how would it work here?

Yes specialty cars do have a larger profit margin but that is because the economies of scale of a specialty model allow them to do. The RC-F Track Edition would be way more expensive if it didn't share most of the interiors, exteriors, drivetrains, and suspensions with the RC and RC-F models. The M4 GTS would be way more expensive if it didn't share most of the interiors, exteriors, drivetrains, and suspensions with the 4 series and M4 models. How does this work with the Supra since it doesn't have a base car to build off of? This is why the GTR is so much more money than the Skyline GTRs were of old (after adjusting for inflation obviously), they no longer have the base Skyline models to build off of.

And yeah 1 series cars were cheaper than 3 series models because it does not make business sense to price the lower model higher
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50