12-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I understand where you're coming from but the bigger issue for me is steering. I don't care that the F30 had a manual, it sucked balls to drive. There was nothing "proper 3-series" about that car. The G20 takes a crap on the outgoing model any day despite the lack of a stick.
I agree about the F30. I was at my dealer I bought my E90 from sometime back in the fall of 2013. My sales rep was still there and suggested I take out an F30 320i with a sport package (he was trying to dump it for cheap). What a terrible car. The brakes and steering were not sourced from BMW I thought. I took it on some great country roads. You couldn't place the car at an apex to save your life. And for BMW to just de-tune the N20 down to 181 HP, was a poor choice by BMW. What a downgrade from the E90.

I get it that the market now doesn't really care about sports sedans, but this is a BMW 3-series and BMWs in the US have never been inexpensive; BMW should foot the bill to give us a choice of a properly-sorted manual transmission in the non-M version of the G20. GM and Ford have the balls to keep the Camaro and Mustang fitted with a V8 and manual transmission as keen to those cars legacies. BMW should do the same for the 3-series.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9717.50
10"4979.50