Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
They could've evolved with time and expanded the lineup as needed, but what they've done in the last decade isn't that. It is undoing of what BMW of past stood for. They traded in their soul and loyal fan base for the mass market appeal and short-term profit.
Totally disagree as their moves have nothing to do with short term profit and more to do with long term sustainability. Enthusiasts are a dying breed. We all know Millenials in general don't share the love for automobiles of previous generations. It's a fact. The days of teenagers getting their driver's license within ticks of their birthday are long over as plenty of young people are going into their 20's without drivers licenses. Heck more millenials despise cars for pollution and begrudgingly use them strictly for A to B transportation. I am on other forums where they post with glee everytime there's a media story predicting doom and gloom for the automotive industry. It is what it is and BMW is simply altering their business for the changing demographics. My annual C&D w/R&T subscription is basically free as they are at the point where they are doing anything to get magazines in the hands of people to sell advertisement and stay in business. It sucks to be part of the crowd being left behind but it is what it is and rather than whine and complain, most here will be better served finding some appreciation for some really good performance vehicles (some still made by BMW like the M2C) that still exist today in this golden age of automobiles. The past is the past and it's not coming back.
I see it this way as well which is why I try to keep the cars I have that I truly love and will never be made again. The Z4MR for example...unheard of today to have put the S54 M3 engine into a small two seater convertible with a good chassis and manual gearbox. Boxster is a nice car but was very different then and is even more different now. I love my Z4MR and it reminds me of a time when I lusted after BMWs as the holy grail of automotive pleasure. Can't say I feel that way about most of what they do today and with the move to electric and/or autonomous vehicles I think Z4MR days are long behind us.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
heavyD^23684.00