View Single Post
      08-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #189
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
They could've evolved with time and expanded the lineup as needed, but what they've done in the last decade isn't that. It is undoing of what BMW of past stood for. They traded in their soul and loyal fan base for the mass market appeal and short-term profit.
If BMW had 'dug in' to simply live with past success, where would they be today? I suggest they would be struggling to exist.

Yes, they moved with the times, X5, (what were they thinking of?). Diesel, (how dare they?). Chasing the money, or evolving with the market? Whatever... As to down sizing engines, (includes 3-cylinders in Europe), focus on AT, move to EPS, all essential for their existence in the European (home) market.

I've been with BMW since the 1970's, I still rate myself as a BMW enthusiast. Personally I believe BMW still offers many decent models these days, (cars for our time), we are spoiled for choice. As to the past, I say "get over it". Put it another way, "we have to". BMW EV's... if BMW is to exist in the future.

I do understand the attraction for the driving experience of the past, the simplicity, the raw driving experience. But we have moved on, users (including me) expect so much more from a vehicle these days. As another poster mentioned, if we want the driving experience of an older model like the E30/36, we need to drive the E30/36. We'll never get the same from a late model BMW, however much we may think those examples may be 'our' benchmark of a driver's BMW.
Appreciate 4
clee1982797.50
530iDriver1707.50
F32Fleet3566.00
heavyD^23688.50