View Single Post
      09-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Wow, that’s going to cause some surprised faces, and probably some gloating too. Not only is that an entire year ahead of (in relative terms) the last generation model (and even further ahead of the E90), but it means the M3 will debut the face of the G2x 4 Series (or at least the grill and headlights, anyway).

Or, is it possible BMW tricked us with the M3 mules, and the M3 will use the G2x 3 Series grill/headlights instead? I know a number of folks were betting (or at least hoping for) on that. However, that seems even more unlikely than a 2020 SOP seemed at this point, though I suspect the early release date will lead more than a few to hold out hope.
I knew 2020 SOP way back in January. But when making a more precise estimate, I relied more on historical data, which suggested G22 first, then G80/G82 showing up simultaneously. That logic put G80 into Fall 2020. Now I have just seen hard evidence that G80 will not wait for the 4 series. With that evidence, and everything else we've heard from other sources, I was able to offer the new estimate.

Why this timing I don't know. My best guess is the ability to debug S58 in F97 shortened the G80 development cycle. And once the car is ready why not sell it and make tons of money?

And I think you know I don't ever talk about exterior design. That's what Scott is for.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
mkoesel7505.50