BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdq View Post
Sorry, got busy recently and haven't got a chance to check the thread. As an update, I went to BMW dealer and they said it's normal, and just added 1 qt for free.

However, 1 month later(1000 miles) I noticed that about 0.4 qt was gone when doing oil level check. So I brought it back to another BMW dealer. They also said it's normal, and they are advised by BMW that they won't do diagnose unless the consumption is more than 1qt/750 miles. They also said that my car was almost new and that I shouldn't worry about anything as it will be covered by warranty. So, they added 0.4 qt and documented everything.

Since I planned to take the M340i to track, I decided to do an early oil change off CBS schedule. So I took the car back to dealer again. I also got the emission recall done at same time. Interesting thing was that the oil consumption issue seemed to stopped. The oil level was full even after I finish the track day.

So, I have no idea if it has something to do with the emission recall, or it has something to do with engine breaking in. I got my car back in May 2019, so it might be the early production, which BMW forgot to detune.
Can you notice any difference in power after the "detune"?
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0