View Single Post
      12-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Exclamation Rear Diff Leak (2020 M340i xDrive)

So let's start this by saying - My M340i has been AMAZING to own thus far. It's gorgeous. It's beyond-my-expectations powerful. The speed and power has easily been underrated by my estimations. For me, it's the perfect blend of automotive prowess, driving dynamics, and modern technology & features.

But here comes my first mechanical gremlin... I noticed multiple drops of oil (equating to ~2 tablespoons of somewhat blackened oil in my garage. No smell to it, doesn't smell burned. But being that I only park this car in one specific orientation in my garage, I know the oil is coming from the rear axle area of the car along the centerline, and the most-likely candidate would be my rear-diff seal(s).

Car is only 7 months into ownership, with ~6,000 miles on it.

Cleaned up the drips, I've kept checking after parking multiple times and I have not been able to confirm whether any new drops have formed.

I'll be notifying BMW and taking it in for service, but I'm a bit uncertain as to whether or not they'll end up flashing the ECU (as per the open emissions recall) during my service visit, and I am still running the pre-July ECU (that, from what I gather has left me with a lot of unexpected power).
  • Is anyone else seeing rear-diff leaks on the new M340i?
  • Anyone have any other thoughts as to what it could be if not a rear-diff seal leak?
  • Has anyone been forced to have the ECU flashed per the recall while having other service work performed? If so, how has it affected your driving experience?
Appreciate 0