View Single Post
      12-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

UPDATE TO THE REAR DIFF LEAK: So I went to my service appointment at the dealer, who confirmed that it actually isn't the seals on the rear-diff, but the rear-diff casting itself that is slowly leaking. The dealership stated that they had never seen it, and a replacement is on order from Germany. They can't see any obvious visible material defect to the casting, but that it was definitely leaking from the body and that my warranty definitely covers the defect.

REGARDING THE RECALL WORK and REFLASH of the Car's Programming - they performed all outstanding recalls while I was in the shop, which including refreshing DME, Dual Storage, Backup Camera (software), etc. I did inquire as to potential performance impacts that would change the behavior - and while I didn't really expect a different response, they certainly advised that they hadn't heard anything of the sort, and were not in any way aware of any performance reductions that would stem from the software flash. The way they are itemized on the service record is in shop-shorthand though, so it's not completely obvious what all of the recalls were for exactly, but I'm sure I could dig it all up if I tried hard enough.

So all this to say 7-10 day worth of shipping for the parts and then I'll spend a day in a loaner while they fix her up. (There's another part, unrelated to the rear diff, which I'll post elsewhere). At least it's still drivable in the meantime, she mostly seems the same after the updated programming, but I'm not taking her to the edge with the rear-diff casting being in a leaky state right now.
Appreciate 0