View Single Post
      02-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
thisberob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EFTHIRTY

Steering issues?

Hi all,

Came out of a f30 340 xdrive and into the g20 330 xdrive a couple of months ago. I actually don't notice much a power difference except when overtaking at 65mph+.

G20 so far has been a bit underwhelming for me and I think the biggest reason for that is the steering "issues" I'm feeling. Let me list them here have see if you guys experiences anything similar.

1. At highway speeds, on a sweeping turn to the left with the steering wheel turned ~10 degrees, it does not return to center and I have to manually bring the wheel back. Right sided sweeping turns have a similar effect but less so. (I do usually drive in the left lane so I think the slight crown towards the left has something to do with this)

2. This car loves going with the crown of the road. It's much more obvious than in the f30, agree??

3. Car came with the steering wheel slightly rightward, 1-2 degrees, when going straight. This is less obvious at lower speeds but more obvious at highway speeds. Car tracks straight when the wheel is let go so I just let it be. (Maybe this is just due to the car following the crown of the road??)

4. Can anyone clarify VSS? I thought I would get used to it by now but I can definitely do without it.

5. F30 steering fairly numb but after driving an F30 for 5+ years (2 leases) I got used to it. With the g20, I'm feeling way more of the road through the steering wheel, especially at 70mph+. It feels almost as if the wheels are out of balance but I don't think they are as the seats and car itself is super planted and firm with no "shake" as confirmed by passengers.

Good things about the g20? M-sport suspension brings me back closer to my e46 days. The tech is improved. Interior is definitely a step up from the f30. Love the remote start and makes getting into the car after a long overnight that much better.

Thanks for reading and weighing in!!