View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 12:48 AM   #657
rodybmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50 / 2011 335is Coupe

Those of you who are having a fit about the kidney grills not being "BMW like".......way before BMW had short/small grills they had tall grills. They have had grills of all shapes and sizes and every time a significant change was made people always complained at first....and then sooner or later started liking and buying it.

I've been on BMW forums since the mid 90's and a BMWCCA member for 30+ years. I remember people writing letters to the Roundel and writing posts on the forums throwing tantrums about things on the new models they didn't like, including the kidney grills of the E36 vs. the E30 and the E90 vs. the E46.....then some time later many of the same people would start liking the same grills that they were complaining about and would start buying the new BMW's with said hideous grills (or whatever else they were complaining about). It's always something...before my time it was the square tail lights vs. round tail lights on the 2002, etc. All I know.....having seen this sort of thing MANY times in the last few decades most of the people that are complaining about the grill/lights/etc. on the G22 WILL like it and buy it after some time has passed. The rest that don't end up liking it...lucky for you there are other cars that would match your tastes better...enjoy your time with other brands.

After the G22 has been revealed in official pictures, and we've all seen it in person we can make a better judgement on whether the new kidney design and other elements of the car look good or not. Maybe it won't look good....maybe the M-Sport would look good but the standard version won't, etc. It's premature to judge right now, but if past experience is any indication many people will like it right from the beginning, and most of the others within a year or so. BMW could have played it safe with a more conventional design, but they decided to be bold. Sometimes that's exactly what's needed.

Name:  1430398757067D.jpg
Views: 2086
Size:  183.1 KB

Name:  image-asset.jpeg
Views: 2058
Size:  654.4 KB

Name:  image-asset (1).jpeg
Views: 2136
Size:  588.4 KB

Last edited by rodybmw; 02-20-2020 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 7
Sedan_Clan25016.50
Fhey454.50
SCOTT265311.00
clee1982797.50