View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #658
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodybmw View Post
Those of you who are having a fit about the kidney grills not being "BMW like".......way before BMW had short/small grills they had tall grills. They have had grills of all shapes and sizes and every time a significant change was made people always complained at first....and then sooner or later started liking and buying it.

I've been on BMW forums since the mid 90's and a BMWCCA member for 30+ years. I remember people writing letters to the Roundel and writing posts on the forums throwing tantrums about things on the new models they didn't like, including the kidney grills of the E36 vs. the E30 and the E90 vs. the E46.....then some time later many of the same people would start liking the same grills that they were complaining about and would start buying the new BMW's with said hideous grills (or whatever else they were complaining about). It's always something...before my time it was the square tail lights vs. round tail lights on the 2002, etc. All I know.....having seen this sort of thing MANY times in the last few decades most of the people that are complaining about the grill/lights/etc. on the G22 WILL like it and buy it after some time has passed. The rest that don't end up liking it...lucky for you there are other cars that would match your tastes better...enjoy your time with other brands.
Well stated.

I've also been around BMW from the days of my father's 'New Class' 2000 sedan. Seen and heard all the comments through the years, particularly in the motoring press, and almost 20 years on the forums.

BMW have been criticised from all quarters, "too conservative", in one breath, to "how dare they change anything" in another.

Also the thinking of "what a BMW should be like". Some users fixate on one generation of BMW, and feel all other generations should reflect that one 'frame' in time.

Whether it is the hood shut line, grille, use of the 'M' (outside of the M-car), or whatever, don't seem to know how varied the legacy of BMW has been.

I don't particularly like everything BMW are doing these days, but do believe we have some superb choices in the current range of models. I still feel it is like entering a sweetie shop, when visiting a BMW showroom.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50