03-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #114
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
My oldest sis is 37 so I’m guessing my parents have been married close to 40 years and there’s definitely been up and downs with the relationship and life and all that but being Vietnamese there’s no divorce in our culture. The whole concept of getting in front of family, friends and god and vowing to be there through thick and thin is taken loosely in most places.

I myself am a monogamous committed type so infidelity have never been any kind of temptation but I could very easily see in any long term relationship we’d just drift apart or get sick of each other. I’d rather have the option of just walking away from each other without the years longs lawyer battle causing unnecessary stress. In a perfect world I have a life long gf, saving money together separately, travel, eat different food and have sex in as many countries as we can

Amen to every part of your sentiment
Nothing wrong with that either.

I think people make a bigger mistake of deciding for sure what they plan to do for the rest of their life instead of having an idea and seeing how it goes. Good friend of mine wanted to be married with two kids, certain type of job, certain lifestyle, all by a certain age. Years ago, when we went out he often seemed desperate as he was trying to hit deadlines and requirements instead of enjoying life and seeing where it takes you.

As for Vietnam, have you ever been or just family from there? My wife and I plan to go on vacation there as soon as Covid lets us (supposed to go last year). In normal times I spend a lot of work time in Thailand then travel a lot of the region so our last trip was Thailand, next is Vietnam. Trying to keep the job long enough for the vacation as it is much cheaper and easier as part of a work trip. I really like SE Asia.