07-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

From this side of life....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Offering automatics and killing manuals isn't necessary a bad thing. As technology continue to evolve, faster stronger better is a good thing. Speaking of which, here's another area where BMW has fallen behind and now reacting to catch up.

VW is the first to market with a mass produced dual clutch automatic. Porsche spearheaded PDK, which by all accounts is vastly superior to BMW's DCT. The ubiquitous ZF 8 speed? Lexus and Toyota has already moved past that to a 10 speed automatic.

Back 20 years ago, BMW was the first to offer a 6 speed manual. SMG was clunky but besides Ferrari's F1 e-shift transmission BMW was the only other car that can be had with an automated manual. Now? Even the collaboration with Toyota seems to have produced a BETTER car for Toyota (the Zupra beat its Z4 brother in 3rd party testing).

And it isn't about automatics or transverse engines. It's about being AHEAD of the industry and offering stuff that others follow. For DECADES BMW was the company that many others emulated. Seriously. For a long time they've been the industry leader in the small sporty luxury sedan market. Sure, competition catches up. But what now? What sets BMW apart from other brands? What market does BMW actually excel at, or in the process of innovating or pioneering in?

That, is what ails BMW. Instead of looking to LEAD in an emerging market (BEV) they've taken a sheep like following stance. Again, I'm not saying EVs are the next big thing. It might. It might not. But at least LEAD in something. Do something bold, creative, innovative like BMW used to stand for.

Rather than react.
From this side of life (67 this month)....the aura and awe of performance cars that are attainable (disregarding hand-built exotics) seems to have been lost on today's young(er) gen....I'm talking about teens and early 20's.

Reflecting back....my pre-teen and teen years centered around performance cars, spectating at motorsport events....I bought my brother's 55 Chevy 2 dr @ age 15 and worked on it for one yr while it was on blocks next to our home....with help, I totally rebuilt the small block V8 in my garage and included the usual suspect after-market performance items (Holley, Edelbrock, Duntov 30/30 cam, Hooker Headers, etc)....this was/is my passion today.

It's interesting....I drive a fairly unique car today (2007 BMW Z4M Roadster....Imola Red....Black Leather....lowered with Bilstein/Eibach suspension....OZ Ultraleggera rims....carbon fiber mirrors and trunk spoiler, etc....it seems there is ZERO interest by today's 15 yr old's when they see my car....it's not a Ferrari LaFerrari....but it is very cool to look at....let me know if it's an over-genereralization to state that the interest in cool looking performance cars seems to have faded a bit....IMHO.
bobowar1353479.00