Thread: Non-RFT Tires?
View Single Post
      01-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
KR335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340iX

Non-RFT Tires?

Hi All. I'm considering a new M340i X-Drive (coming out of an S4) and was planning to go with the 19" M Double Spoke Wheels with Summer non-RFTs (based on a prior 335i I had with RFTs - they were terrible) and get a separate winter setup for the cold months.

Luckily, the dealer had a 330i with the non-RFTs in the showroom and I thought to open the trunk. The enclosure for the donut takes up probably 25% of the trunk by raising the entire floor, turning a generously sized trunk into one that is not practical for a daily driver. It is really ridiculous. My S4 has a donut below the floor and a full-sized trunk. If I had brought that car home my wife would have killed me.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I really want the 19"s for the look, but the idea of RFTs of that low profile really concerns me from both a durability (I popped too many sidewalls last time) and ride perspective.

Any feedback you can provide on experience with 19" RFTs (I'd be getting the Adjustable Suspension, so I guess that helps the ride) would be appreciated.

Also, if on 19s, how many of you went with the Wheel & Tire coverage? The dealer is quoting me $1,999 for 3 years and $2,499 for 5, which sounds like a lot. I paid ~$1,300 for 4 years on my S4 based on my prior BMW RFT experience and never used it (non-RFTs on the S4)

Lastly, I can't seem to find a 340 to drive in the NYC area (only 330s) and the dealer is telling be BMW put a temporary stop on production and they are waiting for allocations, which will be scarce. Anyone else have issues trying to find a 340 to demo or an allocation to order?

Thanks
Appreciate 0