03-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #26
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I've been considering a used hybrid (not phev) Accord as a beater just to drive in the HOV lanes.

I have essentially zero ability to charge at home. How long can you use a 330e without charging it? Can I drive it indefinitely without ever plugging it in? Just curious as I don't care about fuel economy or tailpipe emissions. I only want HOV access.
You don't need to ever charge it, and it's a "super hybrid" if you don't. I took my 330e on a 2000 mi R/T to Perf driving school, pretty much all the way on Interstates. Averaged 80.1 MPH (great stealth car in White) and got 45MPG; starting with a full charge that got me out of Houston, but never charged again over whole trip. Until the Charge America network is up, I consider the PHEV to be the superior choice. In comparing it to a full-electric vehicle, the ICE drivetrain weighs less than the extra battery of a 240 mi full-EV would. In comparing it to the pure ICE equivalent, the extra battery weight is more than offset by the higher fuel economy; and if you are able to charge at home/work a lot (all, in my case) local travel can be in electric. An added benefit: Short ICE runs where the car never warms up never happen, so my ICE and exhaust system "should" last a lot longer, if you are a "keeper".
Appreciate 0