Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I've driven a 530e as a loaner, and it had three selectable modes for "edrive", "auto edrive", "max edrive", and "battery control". Selecting "battery control" charged the battery while the ICE did most of the work. Presumably, one could drive this way indefinitely, using the car as a conventional hybrid. Due to the size and weight of these cars, it's not as fuel efficient to do so, but you said you aren't interested in the fuel efficiency anyway.

One thing to consider, if you can't plug it in, is that driving it in battery control makes it feel very sluggish. At least in the 530e I drove, the 180 hp 4 was not up to the task of moving that big heavy barge with any urgency. It's a big, heavy car, and feels slow most of the time, and down right lazy and sluggish when relying mostly on the weak ICE. The 330e might be better in this regard, but it's something to consider if you can't plug it in at home and, or at work.
Wrong. The PHEV is more fuel efficient, even considering the extra weight. I offer my experience with two PHEV's. I took my 330e on a 2000 mile trip and never charged at any point in the trip. I got 45 MPG. I took my X5 40e on an 8000 mile trip and never charged at any point in the trip. I got 35 MPG. Both results being about 15 MPG better than an equivalent pure ICE. My X5 40e has the 4-banger and it never lacks for adequate oomph--not like a V8, but perfectly adequate. The electric part of the drivetrain provides a very nice boost to the I-4 on acceleration. The software never lets the battery go to zero charge, even if you never charge the car, and so battery boost is always available. If you don't charge, the PHEV becomes a "super hybrid". Understand that I have owned a Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 Carrera, Ferrari Dino 246GTS, Corvette, and Shelby GT350, so I'm not a pussy-footer.
Obviously a hybrid system will be more fuel efficient than a comparably sized car powered only by an ICE. I didn't think this needed to be clarified. My point was that a large, heavy, awd hybrid luxury car/SUV isn't the most efficient selection for one who places a priority on driving a "clean" car. The poster I responded to wants one for a different reason anyway, and I also acknowledged that in my post.

I'll take your word for it that your X5 40i feels sufficiently powered. Stating your sports car street cred isn't necessary The car I alluded to was a 530e powered by a 180hp ICE. It felt slow to accelerate when in battery control mode.
Appreciate 0