01-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #193
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
In my opinion, this Carrera GT is a very poor vehicle in terms of safety.
A vehicle that cost that much and claims to be somewhere in the ultra sportcars level, should be able to protect its passengers to a certain degree.
I am absolutely sure that in a different car it will be a different story. I have seen smaller, cheaper sport vehicles, including M3's jumping out of the cliff, rolling over, and the owner walked away with some scratches.

I have some friends in Europe, they fell of the bridge that was 50 meters high with a 6000 euros Citroen and they walk from the scene.

I think this is a big slap on Porsche's face, this car does not provide safety and it doesn't worth the money. A vehicle that is able to run at a certain speed should be able to resist a certain degree of impact. You expect from a vehicle with a such image to be well built because is not cheap either.
Or it should come with a disclaimer, that the bumper resist at 5 km/h impact and that the passengers are relatively safe at max 100km/h. Over that speed in case of an impact the occupants may die or the vehicle can explode.

I am not surprised, there are many expensive but very. fragile cars out there. Have a look at this website. They do have some problems but the manufacturer does not care.

http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghin...ago-crash.html

I do believe that some cars really don't worththe money. There is a point where regardless how much I love cars, I wouldn't spend that insane amount of money for some cars. I have just seen a brand new Ferrari last fall and some parts were so cheap that actualy shocked me. Yeah, some people can buy them, I wouldn't.

I will never buy that Carrera GT regardless of its specs. It is just an expensive cart.
To bad that good people died...
Nothing against your opinion, but you are trying to compare the safety of standard typical consumer based vehicles (most of which are steel frame and steel paneled), against the safety of a supercar designed for speed and agility. Enzo, Aventador, etc, are all carbon fiber unibody structured, does that mean it is a huge slap in the face to Ferrari and Lamborghini alike?

The cars are most likely deweighted by not adding all the extra safety assessments that typical vehicles do have, for what I would assume are performance gains for, dare I say, track purposes. It may have front and side airbags, but it is still built on a carbon fiber chassis, you can't expect things to end well in a 100mph collision with...., anything. It will end bad, what do you want Porsche to do, build a steel cage around the reduced weight chassis, to "protect" the driver? There is a reason these high end cars seem to have "cheap" or "lacking" safety systems. They aren't bought as safe vehicles, they are bought as enthusiast vehicles.
Appreciate 0