Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Sean Setters from The Digital Picture website brought up a good point today. Verizon, a notoriously profit-minded company, just bought Yahoo and hence now owns Flickr. Food for thought.
They didn't buy Yahoo, just certain assets of Yahoo, Flickr included. Elements of Yahoo will continue, but will be renamed.

Two big worries, will Yahoo mail fold into AOL? Certainly not, but you never know.

Will Verizon gut Flickr? I suspect not, or they wouldn't have taken it in the deal. They'll certainly take a run at making something out of it. Yahoo, totally failed at its foray into Stock Imaging Sales. I have a friend with hundreds of images listed with them, after they wooed him away from Getty. He gets occasional deposits in his bank account, but he can't even give a link to the sales site. I can't find one on Flickr. Surely a better job can be done in that regard.

Amazon has "free" unlimited image storage, including Raw files, for its PRIME members. I can't see Flickr cutting it's Pro members in that regard and I suspect that the advertising is paying for the free members, but don't really know if that model is working. Of course, they might try to turn Flickr into another Instagram.

BTW, if you've got a PRIME account, back up your Flickr files. Bulkr will allow to download the jpg, with full EXIF and Tags.