View Single Post
      08-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #246
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
This is just purely conjecture, but based mostly from 20+ years of BMW ownership and forum experience/meeting other members, etc.

Base M3/6MT - this is for enthusiasts who want the basic car, possibly who are moving up from other non-premium brands like Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Kia, etc. These are the people who are stretching their budget most likely to get into an M3 for the brand/name recognition and performance. These are the same folks who don't check any options boxes or would have taken the cloth interior with no moonroof back in the day. Nothing wrong with that but think no frills and probably seat time at a HPDE with their car. Entry level buyer and new to the brand type.
With respect, I could not disagree more.

The people getting the Base are 6MT enthusiasts....period. As 6MT enthusiasts, almost all will be repeat buyers (because where else are they coming from other than the F30 340i?).

People new to the brand aren't likely to choose the Pure/6MT because if they're new to the brand, they haven't been driving a 6MT. If they are new to the brand but choose a 6MT, where are they coming from? Porsche? In that unlikely scenario, they can certainly afford other trims. And for those stretching their budget to get into an M3, they still have to drive 6MT to do so. People stretching their money are still 80% unlikely to choose a 6MT.

Some of us just choose our cars based on the transmissions first, everything else second. I have an M3 CS. Great car. I hate it. I miss the 6MT so bad (the CS is the first AND last non-6MT car I will ever own).

For me personally, I am able to afford a number of cars more expensive than the F80 or the G80. However, I love a 6MT and a 4 door. In the one situation I am able to speak for personally, and for a number of well funded enthusiasts I know who plan on getting a G8x in 6MT, I think your characterization is incorrect. It is missing the impact of the 6MT.
Appreciate 4
JTO245276.00
Drew10404.50
seis-speed2435.00
duky1316.50