Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
From a software engineering standpoint, this is actually a much safer strategy. Adding new features comes at the cost of testing the new feature + regression testing all the existing stuff, and then they have to deal with folks doing custom coding (creating edge cases that the best software test strategies on the planet aren't capable of handling). The number of regression test possibilities becomes unmanageable, and then you have the cost and lost of hearts and minds as some customers end up saying "but I LIKED the way it worked before.. bring the old way of doing things BACK!".

All of this testing and hassle for a product that folks' lives depend on. Thank god I'm not in charge of that, but if I were, I'd do it the BMW way, not the Tesla way.
It think i's even worse than you allude to. Tesla does it that way because they're so far behind schedule. Instead of including all features they promise/intend, they release it with known bugs or features disabled then add them later on while the cars are in customers' hands.
Appreciate 0