01-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #178
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Not true at all. Sure, I will agree that a good Blackstone report won't keep you from blowing up your motor....nothing will.

But if you can get several reports done over a period of time in order to establish a baseline, if your "normal" readings start trending out of range, their reports will let you know that you are getting more fuel than normal in your oil (leaky injector), you are getting coolant or combustion gas particles in your oil (head gasket issue), you have abnormal amounts of lead/tin/brass in your oil (bearing issues), etc, etc, etc.....and then you can address the issue before it destroys the motor.

But I agree....one single test sample doesn't tell you much....you need several to establish a baseline for your motor.
I just have to say, as I've stated in other threads recently, I have well over 1 million driven miles in 40 years. I've never had engine oil analyzed by a company such as Blackstone. I've followed each of my vehicle's manufacturer's oil change interval and oil/filter requirements for the model I had and have yet to lose an engine, or have an engine require a repair related to oil performance. And almost every vehicle I've owned I've driven well past 150,000 miles and three past 200,000 miles. It adds $25 to an oil change for no real benefit.

An oil analysis tells you how the oil performed under the last oil change interval. It is no better a predictor of oil performance looking forward than the manufacturer's recommendations. For fleet operators, an oil analysis may be beneficial, but fleet operations are much different than private auto operation.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3574.50