04-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
If BMW truly wants to grab a big market share, the i4 should be priced similarly to the Tesla Model 3 extend range and have the advertised 373 miles range. BMW can certainly tack on modest price increase of a couple of thousand dollars for the BMW brand name and nicer appointments. But should be aware that Tesla is the leader in the EV market with proven and improving technology.

Every car magazine headlines the latest EV as a Tesla killer. To date, not one car has proven so. Most all are priced thousand$ more than and Tesla, don't have the range or the charging network. BMW, has the i4 which has the range and if priced comparably (with similar equipment), to actually rival the Tesla for market share.

My next car will be an EV. I would be an enthusiastic buyer of the i4 if the the range was equal to the Model 3 extended range and the pricing was comparable with similar features included. If BMW thinks that having the whirling propeller affords them the right to charge $15-20K more than a comparably equipped and ranged Tesla Model 3, they may be in for a rude awakening.

To date, I have no idea of the i4 battery warranty and longevity, or the car's storage capabilities (trunk and frunk). If the estimated pricing will be in the $50K range and the car has the 373 mile range and it comes comparably equipped to a Tesla, BMW will likely get my business. Otherwise I will be buying a Model 3.
Keep in mind the 373 mile range is on the WLTP, and that may have dropped since the iNext "projected range" has also dropped below what was originally going to be 400+ and is now under. The Verge quoted BMW saying it will have an estimated EPA rating of 270 miles, but worst of all BMW says the car will arrive in the first half of 2022, and this was before the coronavirus hit, so we could be looking at an even later date, and who knows what updates Tesla will have by then.

I imagine the price will likely be a lot higher than the Model 3 because the Model 3 is actually priced well at quite a value in my opinion. You can get a nice Performance 3 at $56k, I would think the base i4 will likely be around the price of a Performance 3 around the mid 50's to low 60's despite lacking in specs. Apparently the base Polestar 2 is going to be a touch under $60k and will have a "projected range" of 275 miles.
LSM1118.00