View Single Post
      06-23-2020, 11:58 PM   #87
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

G11 is a first in the history to my knowledge that BMW changes front end design (headlight shaping, front bumper and the grille of course) with the LCI.

The changes also happened to G30 LCI, albeit not that radically, as a proof that LCI design change is not the unicorn with G11 and will be a trend with G generation cars.

The G20 will most likely receive a L shaped headlight, slightly vertically grown grille, and a more smily face on the sides. Eventually changes will go to the G80/82 (less than 2 years from its launch). And personally, I'd think with some tweaks they can make the grille look right.

Also it's already a given that S58 will receive a TU at some point of its lifecycle (could be at LCI or later), with 48v incorporation for efficiency improvement, and most importantly tackling the turbo lag issue.

For the S58 engine, I don't know what else but it's by far BMW's laggiest motor of all time. I know a lot guys in the US, where they live, everywhere it's a 10+min drive with basically no traffic, average pace shown on the Idrive are 30mph or more, so they're less sensitive to turbo lag. For those living in downtown and having traffic to deal with, the S58 will be as slow as if not slower than a B48. Go check Joe Achilles video, he compared X3M vs X3 M40i in gear acceleration, the M40i is way quicker. M40i is a easier SUV to drive and a better all around SUV day to day, simply for the strong engine (yes, it's weird to call a series engine strong when compared to the supposedly stronger M engine).

It's a very bad time now to be the early adaptors of any G gen pre LCI cars unless the plan is to flip every less than 2-3 years. BMW has been very unsettled with the Pre LCI G generation cars both technologically and aesthetically. All the fixable issues, they will fix with the LCI.