View Single Post
      06-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #97
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Not at all, no. Go look at E46 pre and post LCI headlights, just for starters. And I doubt it was the first. Bumpers have also changed at LCI time in many prior BMW models. Grills? G generation may be the first there - I'm not sure either way.

The only changes you'll see two years from launch are changes to the rear of the G80 to coincide with the G20 LCI. Front end changes will come nearly four years from now, when the G22 LCI happens.

In my opinion, grill changes are not likely at LCI unless perhaps there is a retreat to something shorter and wider, which is a possibility.

Highly likely, yes, but not necessarily to feature in the G8x. The S58 isn't going anywhere - it along with all current BMW engines (except the S63 which will soon become the S68) will be with us until the end of the ICE according to reports about BMW engine development - so there's many years over which refinements will come and be phased into the product lineup.
Hi mkoesel, thanks for the information.

Technically yes, there is headlight revision with the E46, and thus the bumper. However, G generation is a whole new level and has a very different story behind. And you probably are also right, G80 front end improvement may coincide with G82/G22. However, imagine when that day comes, what kind of reality will these old faced Ms deal with?

What I was getting at is, BMW is undergoing an unprecedented radical changes. And there're unsettlement from top (management) down (execution), both aesthetically (and technologically). To the magnitude that they cannot even wait and keep consistent throughout the generation.

Also, technology wise, for example - they told no long before, that once BMW implements 48V with petrol engine, it will be the 2nd generation 48V (incorporated into gearbox instead of hanging up on the engine). But now for whatever reason, they just released new cars with the old 48v tech (which Merc and Audi have used for at least half a generation), and there is no further comments.

From the look of it now, it's inevitable the G80/82 will get an engine update before the lifecircle ends, either be it a 48V system, or some other mechanical improvements. S58 isn't going anywhere, it just disapoints. Will get renamed to S58tu or S59 when the update comes.