Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Part of the appeal of digital systems should be the ability to apply OTA updates as software develops and improves. This gets more complicated the more physical buttons you have, so I can see why some manufacturers would want to migrate away from them. You could buy a physical car that ages, but gets upgrades and improvements via software over time, thereby prolonging the effective life of the vehicle. Obviously, there's a point of diminishing returns, but on paper it seems like a good selling point. However, other than Tesla, this hasn't really come to fruition. Digital displays simply become outdated and get redesigned with each generation of vehicle. Plus, to your point, it seems to weaken the safety profile of a car if the UI is completely new every few years, never mind the loss of physical controls.
Yeah like you said the new tech ages fast since the cars become computers on wheels.

The biggest issue for me is driver education. The tech is changing constantly and driving scools are horrid. Also, I am yet to find a non-enthusiast that reads a manual.

You have drivers that passed their driving tests 40 yrs ago and now they are expected to migrate to new interfaces. What happened to continuous education in driving like in many other professions!?
Appreciate 0