06-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #76
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Touch systems don’t work, especially in M cars. I can’t hit the 10 buttons on the dash as it is now, especially when playing with the car.
Don’t be playing with buttons while you’re driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Don't like the touch screen plus finger prints are all over
Understood, but I’ve found an aftermarket screen protector for my Tesla Model 3 that shows practically zero finger marks, plus cuts down on glare. It was about $60 USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared+ View Post
Yea, that's it. Make me take hands off the wheel more often to reach for a touch-screen!

How sensible, how safe! NOT
Don’t take your hands off the wheel. Just press a button on the wheel and speak the command. I do it all the time, “change the temperature to 68º”. It’s not really that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
I get why they want to ditch an analog controller for touchscreen only because future. But.... it's clearly much safer to keep hands closest to the wheel (analog dial control) rather then expect drivers to both look AND touch a screen while a 3500 lb+ machine is in motion. The probability of being distracted has got to be much higher if having to reach and touch a screen over something akin to a gear selector which is in a comfortable (and safe) place for the driver.

For the most part I keep my iDrive screen off while driving unless Nav is needed or I'm selecting media.
Keep your hands on the wheel, use your voice. Certain things are of course easier with fingers/thumbs, like changing the volume. That’s what steering wheel buttons are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
I guess BMW bets their "Hey BMW" assistant will be good enough in a few years that people can tell it to change the temperature and/or substitute it for the favorite buttons. I think it's sad, but the i4 concept interior shots seem to indicate that. Though it seems that the i4 and the iNext might still have the iDrive rotary controller.

About wide screen, that's also in the i4 concept, and has been all but officially announced by BMW to arrive in the final i4 (and other later models like the iNext).
I had 4 cars with iDrive rotary controllers. If/when BMW gets their touchscreens “right”, you won’t miss them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ZRH View Post
The fundamental question is how many functions do you really need on a daily basis to operate the car ? ergonomics and function should dictate the style. And not the other way around.
Then how many clicks do you need to access the function ? Climate control on some cars ? Several touches on the screen. A button: one touch.
This is critical for safety and can be distracting when driving.
And finally health and design: how many germs on a screen ?�� and who enjoys seeing all those fingerprints on a screen ??? ��
Well exactly. You shouldn’t have to be fooling with 10 buttons every time you take a trip to the grocery store. Fingerprints are taken care of with the proper screen/shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Touch screens in a car is just annoying and distracting.
A million Tesla drivers seem to get along OK. I can’t imagine a time where I ever said “I need a real button for that!”. Do you wish your iPhone/Android had a big physical button in the middle of the touch screen that just did one thing like turn off Bluetooth??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Of all the buttons to have removed and yet the front and rear defrost buttons have remained?
Ya, that is weird. I think the Hazard button is one of the few (only?) mechanical buttons in my car. Certainly a vestigial remain for safety purposes after an accident.
Appreciate 0