06-27-2020, 12:39 AM   #101
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I am far more surprised by VW being in the top 5.
I bought a brand new 2008 GTI in 2008 and kept it 9 years until fall 2017. I had several issues that resulted in the engine being rebuilt at 24K then finally replaced altogether at 60K. Had a bunch of issues, AC failures, steering wheel controls, etc.

The car was so fun but we said never again. When we got fed up with the 3rd major AC repair in 9 years. We looked at everything. Honda SI, WRX, Hyundai, BMW BRZ and nothing felt as as good all around as the GTI especially with two kids. Then I got a special offer in 2017 like $4K off MSRP and we decided to try the new MkVII. The price was good but man, we fell stupidly in love again with the GTI. We agonized then I remembered that my mom bought a brand new Jetta GLI in 2012 and it was 5 years old. I called her up and we chatted. She had not had a single major issue in 5 years. The GTI was soooooo good and the price was good so we bought a new one. It will be 3 years in the fall and it has been outstanding. Not a single major issue. A few creaks here and there but not any more than both my BMWs. So I am not surprised by it. I have spoken up on a several posts where people bash BMWs made in US and Mexico as if German built cars were so much better. NAH. Sorry, I have owned 4 BMWs since 2005 and still own two and without a doubt they are both German built and unreliable. Period. The real irony is that both my mom's Jetta and our current GTI were made in Mexico and hands down have been more reliable than the my 4 German built BMWs and VW.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50