10-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #60
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG99 View Post
I came from a 2016 Q50 RS also. I have had my 340i xDrive for a few months and am quite happy compared to the Q50. Like most I liked the lease and engine of the Red Sport, but tech, steering and handling left much to be desired. I will say it was good looking and I liked the seats except they weren't cooled but neither are the 340s.

The only "zonks" (as Joe Raiti would say) with the 340 are the aluminum trim that reflects sun, the aforementioned lack of cooled seats and the biggest issue, it's under tired. The standard 225 diameter tires are too narrow for a car with this much power. They have to be the narrowest tires in the class running on 19" wheels. Normally I would replace the RFs with wider AS non RF Michelin's (like I did with Q50), but it's a 24 month lease so not sure if it's worth it. Anybody replace RFs and size up from 225 equipped 340?

Overall BMW did a great job with the 340. It is fast, attractive, and lots of cool tech features.
Agree with everything. It's funny you mention it though because this exact issue plagued the Q50 when I originally got it (even though that had 245's all around). Got a flat tire pretty early on (guess runflats are more prone to punctures... go figure) and used that as an excuse to replace all 4 with much stickier tires. Although that solved the grip issues the runflats had, it couldn't solve the steering issues.

Not sure I'll be doing the same with the 340 since I didn't get the spare tire package. At least with the runflats you can drive a bit to a safe location rather than being stuck with a flat and no spare.
Appreciate 0