First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Sounds like some of you might believe you’re experiencing laser lights when you’re actually running on the LEDs. The lasers are high beam only, and they turn on about as frequently as Halley’s Comet passes Earth. You can’t control when the lasers come on. I can honestly say I’m not sure if they’ve ever turned on or not in my X5.
That is correct, you have LED low and high beams and the lasers turn on additionally to the LED high beams if there is no other traffic (neither in the same nor the opposite direction) and above 70km/h (iirc). On my X5 I can tell if they are turning on, and it happens - well - whenever the situation explained above allows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Anti dazzle also does not mean what you think it does. In sum, the lasers are very close to worthless. The biggest value is that it makes the headlight assembly look cool aside from that dumb ass warning label. outside.”
Just to set things straight. There are three light options: LED, LED with cornering lights and Laser. The normal LEDs are just that: on, off nothing else. The cornering lights will turn with you into the curves as well as light up a corner when turning. The lasers then add BMW selective beam/anti-dazzle.

This means high beam is turned on while there are still other cars in front of you and the high beams are selectively turned off exactly where the other cars are. You can see this effect really good in this video. Notice how the high beam stays on the entire time around him, so you can see everything and at the same time don't dazzle him. The laser light is the very bright spot right in the middle, that reaches about 200m farther than the LEDs, in this video the street is quite curvy so you can't see it very well, but it is noticeable in real life. The lasers are just another bonus on top. For me, besides the look, the anti-dazzle function is the selling feature of the lasers.

If you go with normal LEDs you do not have that feature. So I highly suggest to get the lasers. To get the full feature working you will have to code the EU anti-dazzle lights. I'm not 100% sure which features you will loose if you don't code them.

Last edited by Flamingi; 06-10-2020 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 2