Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Well, as I and everyone else have said you definitely want to get it coded. Also, it's not $2100, but only $1200 more and you also get gesture control and automatic low/high beams (offtopic, but you don't get automatic low/high beams with the LEDs in the US? In Germany it's a €160 option with the LEDs).

Additionally, even if you don't get it coded, the light of the low/high beams of the laser lights are brighter than the low/high beams of the normal LEDs or LEDs with cornering light. A quick look into the IIHS rating will confirm that.

I'd say it is a worthwhile investment. Also, like does it matter if the car is $49k or $50k? You don't even have a lot of options in the US anyway... (Just for comparison, my X5 has almost 50% of the base price in options on top; €83k base and as spec'd it was €117k)
The package is $2100 in America. Everything else that comes with it is useless. gesture control? Does anyone actually use that or feel that it's better than steering wheel controls? Auto high beams might be worth it, but they are ripping you off if that's all you're getting for that much money. Don't get me started on self parking. I've had it on multiple cars, it's a pointless purely software feature that no one who knows how to park uses ever.

Also, the laserlight low beams are exactly the same as the adaptive LEDs. Laserlights do not come into play in America unless you use high beams. If you actually look at the IIHS ratings, the low beam ratings and projection charts are identical. The only difference is that high beam is slightly weaker on the adaptive LED cars.

A $50k-$60k luxury car with a $2100 option package that requires an additional paid coding session as soon as you buy it? As an enthusiasts and DIYer, I have no problem coding it. But many people are still paying to have this done and many who want to do it still are not able to get it done or aren't very impressed by the results. Some believe the brightness is lower than the EU car even with it enabled. You have to pay close attention to which comments are from Americans and which are from Europeans.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1569980&page=7

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 06-12-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0