Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
New Tesla roadster

0-60 in 1.9 seconds

8.8 1/4 mile

250mph top speed

620 mile range

$200k

I can't wait to see that thing shame hypercars and even megacars for a supercar price
I am not being facetious here - is all that available instantaneously? And how many times? I think "insane mode" currently requires a 10 minute battery "warm up" and also severely shrinks the range associated with that particular charge on a Model S.

I worked with some guys that had the Model S in my past - there's no doubt those cars were really fast. But it was kind of like being in an elevator. Do you get enjoyment out of a fast elevator ride? It is hard to tell that you've moved a great distance quickly because there's no real sound...or anything to be honest. It's just not as...theatric? Involving? Fun? At least to me anyway.

Mr. Musk has even described the automobile of the future as mobile washing machines...aka, appliances. No thank you - I won't be buying one, ever.
Yes The ludicrous plus mode requires a battery warm up if the battery isn't already warm from a short drive. On that mode the 4900lb model s does 0-60 in 2.4 sec or less if you calculate using roll out like the car mags do.

No it doesn't severely shrink the range, the youngster who runs the Tesla racing channel on YouTube has many videos of back to back runs on the same charge on the street and track, races are short so it doesn't consume that much power.

Let's not get crazy thinking it's silent like an elevator. There is plenty of sound, road, tires, wind and the whine of the electric motor which to some is enough. Sure there is no exhaust note, which is important and I love a great sounding exhaust like the next car guy but (1) has bmw really been impressing you with their turbo exhaust notes? And (2) if you do like bmws exhaust notes couldn't you just pipe it in with a speaker like bmw does?

As battery tech improves weight will be reduced and the electric sports cars will become even better at the track. Compared to the decades of r&d into the internal combustion engine battery r&d is in its infant stage, there is a lot more exciting things to come.

Back on topic, I think the Tesla and the gtr prove that traction can overcome weight for a solid 0-60. That's what's so exciting about the g80 m3, I'm expecting we'll see sub 3 sec 0-60s from it in short order.
Appreciate 1