03-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubchariot View Post
For security reason, I don't think the car should allow any device other Samsung phone, which is the only brand they currently support, to unlock the car.

Unlike the digital key running on Samsung phone that requiring you to hold your phone next to the door handle to unlock, Apple and BMW want to achieve keyless experience using the new standard. So your iPhone would work just like your BMW key fob. You won't need to hold it next to the door handle to unlock the car.

So I would say there should be an update required for this new feature.

Also, it wouldn't be surprise to me that if BMW choose to give this feature only to upcoming new models 😀
We can already unlock our car remotely from the phone using the connected app. I use the app more for remote start (when I'm at work and want to warm the engine before I pack up to go home) but it works great.

I assumed that if they add digital key to iPhone it will use NFC, just like Samsung phones and the key card (put near the handle to lock/unlock). I will be a big fan if they can achieve a key fob like experience with iPhones and not require taking the phone out of your pocket to work. Those with security concerns should be able to opt-out. I keep my vehicle garaged which eliminates most of those types of worries.
Appreciate 0