View Single Post
      12-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #22
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Actually, that is exactly where the discussion should begin since that and the C43 Sedan (along with other six cylinder luxury vehicles in this class) are the M340i's primary competitors.

The F80 M3 is out of production now and while there are some left on lots, those will soon be gone. When the next generation G80 model arrives, the starting price will move up near (but probably still below) $70k to maintain the gap between the top trim 3 Series.

But your point about the S4 is of importance since that vehicle starts at $51,195 with destination charge. I am not sure how standard features might compare to the M340i, but irrespective of that, a >$5000 gap in starting price sure doesn't seem to put BMW in a favorable position. Sure, the S4 has 30hp less at this point, and there is always the debate about Audi driving dynamics. I'm sure there are other factors that those who are actually in the market might be weighing as well, but a >10% higher price for the BMW is still a bit of an ask.

Perhaps the SQ5 is priced at similar discount compared to the X3 M40i too, I'll have to look at that and other data points to reach a more fully formed opinion of the situation.
The 30HP difference is negligible. What bothers me is that they are late to the game in terms of adding viable tech like digital dashboards and they have the audacity to charge a premium over every other competitor and offer virtually little standard options.

Listen, I understand a driving purist getting a naked M3 and using his phone as a nav because they want that RWD driving experience, but who is going to go that route with an M340? If there's someone thats going to fork up money for a 6 cylinder, 350+HP sports sedan, they obviously have the money and will go with a fully loaded M3.

The M340 really isn't that special, so why the hell isolate a potential buyer base and make it seem like its so special?

Last edited by ThatKrazyPolak; 12-04-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0