View Single Post
      05-15-2021, 02:53 AM   #107
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Must be annoying and potentially stressful if you have spec'd up your ideal car only to find at a later point it will not have all the features. I'm sure some won't be too bothered. For me I want my car just so if I'm paying BMW prices, which means I'll have to wait till this supply issue is resolved. Could be a long wait. I've been doing a bit of research and it's not just BMW that are having this problem. It's affecting the whole car industry to varying degrees globally. It seems that the car manufacturers were very quick to drop their processor orders when the pandemic hit. Consumer electronics boomed in the lockdown as we all wanted new TV's, phones, PCs, peripherals etc. Now the car manufactures are back to the processor suppliers and find that their orders are back of the queue. Added to that cars use older, more robust and reliable chips which are less profitable to produce. There are a very small number of processor producers in the world. Something like 4 companies control most of the supply. It's estimated that the lack of supply will cost the car industry $60B this year in lost orders. One of which is mine
Appreciate 0